I am not very fond of Brinjals, but i like it in two ways either as bharwan baingan or as this recently discovered vindaloo. This dish is my entry for JFI - Eggplant hosted by Sangeeta of ghar ka khana.
thanks sangeeta !!
recipe adapted from vanitha:
- small brinjals slit lengthwise like a cross without separating it from the base - 1/4 kg
- ginger paste - 1/4 tsp
- garlic paste - 1/4 tsp
- chilly powder - 1 tbsp
- mustard seed -1/2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds - 2 pinches
- oil - 5 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- onion (chopped) - 2 cups
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- tomato (chopped) - 1 cup
- vinegar - 2 tsp
- salt to taste
- ginger (chopped) - 1/4 tsp
- garlic cloves (whole) - 4
- sugar - 1/4 tsp
.....phew quite a looong list ..!
- Grind ingredients 2 to 7 to a fine paste & keep aside.
- Heat oil. Add chopped onions till they turn brown.
- Now add turmeric then chopped tomtaoes & fry till oil separates.
- Add brinjals & mix till masala is well coated on the brinjals.
- add 1 tsp vinegar, salt & enough water for it to cook.mix well.
- Put the whole thing in a micro proof dish & microwave for about 8 mts , removing & stirring once in between.
- Put it back to the kadai & add ginger & garlic cloves.
- when gravy thickens add 1 tsp vinegar & sugar. Mix well & serve hot with rotis.